This page provides a list of resources including publications, case studies and presentations.
1. An engineer performs Chopin for his colleagues.
Current Projects not yet Published
8. Stress Linearisation for Practising Engineers.
7. Series of Article on Steel Plates.
6. Rigid Body Motion Test
5. The fib Model Code for Concrete Structures 2010 - A Critique of the Comments on Finite Element Analysis
4. On the Uniqueness of Limit Analysis Solutions
3. Limit Analysis of Dynardo Fibre Reinforced Slab
2. Simulated Limit Analysis of Plates using Incremental Plasticity Finite Elements.
1. Lower-Bound Limit Analysis Results for a NAFEMS Publication Problem.
1. Limit Analysis of Pre-Cast Roof Slabs. 2011.
1. 'p'-type or 'h'-type Elements?
2. Stress Trajectories
1. Analysis of Plates (Elastic and Limit). Lecture notes ECMM108, Advanced Structural Engineering, University of Exeter, 2010.
35. Ramsay A.C.A., Maunder E.A.W. & Moitinho de Almeida J.P.B. What is Equilibrium Finite Element Analysis?, NAFEMS Benchmark Magazine, January 2017.
34. Ramsay A.C.A. & Maunder E.A.W. The Influence and Modelling of Warping Restraint on Beams, Structure Magazine, August 2016.
33. Ramsay A.C.A., & Maunder E.A.W. Avoiding Finite Element Malpractice through Simulation Governance,Engineering & Technology Reference, Institution of Engineering and Technology, July 2016
32. Ramsay A.C.A., & Maunder E.A.W. An Error in Timoshenko's 'Theory of Plates and Shells', Structure Magazine, July 2016
31. Ramsay A.C.A. Raising your Game with Good Simulation Governance, NAFEMS Benchmark Magazine, July 2016 (Special Edition on Confidence in Results) Full Article
30. Ramsay A.C.A., & Maunder E.A.W. An Error in Timoshenko's 'Theory of Plates and Shells' The Structural Engineer, June 2016.
29. Ramsay A.C.A., & Maunder E.A.W. An Error in Timoshenko's 'Theory of Plates and Shells' NAFEMS Benchmark Magazine, January 2016.
28. Ramsay A.C.A., Maunder E.A.W. & Gilbert M. Modern Limit Analysis Tools for Reinforced Concrete Slabs, Structure Magazine, September 2015.
27. Ramsay A.C.A., Maunder E.A.W. & Gilbert M. Modern Limit Analysis Tools for Reinforced Concrete Slabs, Concrete Magazine, July 2015.
26. Ramsay A.C.A., Maunder E.A.W. & Gilbert M. Yield Line Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Slabs; Is the 10% Rule Safe?, NAFEMS Benchmark Magazine, January 2015.
25. Ramsay A.C.A. & Maunder E.A.W. The Influence and Modelling of Warping Restraint on Beams, NAFEMS Benchmark Magazine, July 2014.
24. Maunder E.A.W., Izzuddin B.A. & Ramsay A.C.A. An Equilibrium Shell Element for Folded Plate Structures, Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Computational Mechanics for Spatial Structures, eds. A. Ibrahimbegovic, S. Dolarevic, M. Hrasnica, M. Madzarevic, M. Zlatar, pp 248-250, IASS-IACM 2012, Sarajevo, April 2-4, 2012.
23. Maunder E.A.W & Ramsay A.C.A. Equilibrium models for lower bound limit analyses of reinforced concrete slabs, Computers & Structures, 108-109, 100-109, 2012.
22. Maunder E.A.W & Ramsay A.C.A. Effective Width of Slabs, (Letter to Verulam), Structural Engineer, November 2010.
21. Maunder E.A.W & Ramsay A.C.A. Equilibrium models for lower bound limit analyses of reinforced concrete slabs, in Proceedings 10th International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, eds. BHV Topping, JM Adam, FJ Pallares, R. Bru, ML Romero, Valencia, Civil-Comp Press, 2010.
20. Maunder E.A.W. & Ramsay A.C.A., The case for equilibrium models in FEM with application to slab design, presented at IABSE Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for Bridges, Buildings and Construction Practice, Helsinki, June 4-6, 2008.
19. Maunder E.A.W. & Ramsay A.C.A., Limit analysis of slabs revisited with finite element models, in proceedings of 6th International Conference on Computation of Shell & Spatial Structures, IASS-IACM 2008, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, May 28-31, 2008.
18. Harvey W.J., Maunder E.A.W. & Ramsay A.C.A. The influence of spandrel wall construction on arch bridge behaviour, in Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Arch Bridges, Madeira, Portugal, 12-14 September 2007, P.B. Lourenco, D.V. Oliveira. A. Portela (eds.), 601-608, Multicomp, Lda, 2007.
17. Ramsay A.C.A. & Maunder E.A.W. Sub-modelling and boundary conditions with p-type hybrid-equilibrium plate-membrane elements, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 43, 155-167, 2006.
16. Ramsay A.C.A. & Maunder E.A.W. Boundary conditions and sub-modelling with p-type hybrid equilibrium plate elements, in P. Diez & N.-E. Wiberg, eds., Adaptive Modeling and Simulation 2005, CIMNE, 177-180, 2005.
15. Maunder E.A.W. & Ramsay A.C.A. Towards efficient implementation of hybrid equilibrium plate elements, in E.Ramm, W.A.Wall, K.-U. Bletzinger, M. Bischoff, eds., CD Proceedings of the 5th International Conference of Shell & Spatial Structures, Salzburg, 1-4 June 2005.
14. Maunder E.A.W. & Ramsay A.C.A. A basis for an axisymmetric hybrid-stress element, Strojnicky Casopis, 54, 263-276, 2003.
13. Maunder E.A.W. & Ramsay A.C.A. A basis for an axisymmetric hybrid-stress element, in V.Kompis, J.Sladek, M.Zmindak, eds, Proceedings of NMCM2003, 9th International Conference on Numerical Methods in Continuum Mechanics, Zilina, September 9-12, 2003.
12. Ramsay A.C.A. Estimation of the Plastic Volume Fraction from a Linear-Elastic Finite Element Analysis, Computers & Structures, Vol. 40, 213-237, 2003.
11. Maunder E.A.W., Moitinho de Almeida J.P. & Ramsay A.C.A. Visualisation of stress fields – from stress trajectories to strut and tie models, The 10th Annual Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering, Swansea, 31-34, 2002.
10. Ramsay A.C.A. & Johnson D. Analysis of Practical Slab Configurations using Automated Yield-Line Analysis and Geometric Optimisation of Fracture Patterns, Engineering Structures, 20(8):647-654, January 1998. Referenced in Recent Advances in Optimal Structural Design, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2002
9. Maunder E.A.W., Ramsay A.C.A., Strategies for error estimation using variable degree equilibrium elements, in E A W Maunder, ed., Computational Mechanics in UK - Extended Abstracts for the Sixth Conference of ACME. Exeter, 55-58, 1998.
8. Ramsay A.C.A. & Johnson D. Geometric Optimisation of Yield-Line Patterns using a Direct Search Method, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization,14(2):108-115, September 1997.
7. Ramsay A.C.A., Automated Yield-Line Analysis for the Limit Analysis of Plates, NAFEMS Benchmark Magazine, July 1997.
6. Ramsay A.C.A., Moitinho de Almeida J.P. & Maunder E.A.W. Curious convergence with hypo-static hybrid equilibrium models, Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol 13, 541-552, 1997.
5. Ramsay A.C.A., Maunder E.A.W. Effective error estimation from continuous, boundary admissible estimated stress fields. Computers & Structures, Vol 61, No 2, 331-343, 1996.
4. Maunder E.A.W., Moitinho de Almeida J.P. & Ramsay A.C.A. A general formulation of equilibrium macro-elements with control of spurious kinematic modes: the exorcism of an old curse. Int. J. Num. Meth. Eng. Vol 39, 3175-3194, 1996.
3. Ramsay A.C.A. & Sbresny H. Evaluation of some Error Estimators for the Four-Noded Lagrangian Element, Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering 11(6):497 - 506, June 1995.
2. Maunder E.A.W. & Ramsay A.C.A. Quadratic equilibrium elements. Published in FEM Today and the Future, (Proceedings of the Seventh World Congress on Finite Element Methods, Monte Carlo, 401-407, November 1993.
1. Ramsay A.C.A. & Sbresny H. Some Studies of an Error Estimator Based on a Patch Recovery Scheme. Finite Element News, January 1993.
0. Robinson J., Maunder E.A.W., & Ramsay A.C.A. Some Studies of Simple Error Estimators, Parts I to VI, Finite Element News, Issues, 4, 5 & 6 (1992) and 1, 2 & 3 (1993)